Wednesday, April 25, 2007

sarajevo

One of the most beautiful towns in the Balkans is Sarajevo. It is a harmonious coexistence of different elements, different cultures. Mosques and churches stand together and seem to have coexisted for ages without conflicts. It is one of the most oriental towns in Europe. The conflict of the recent past surprises if you walk in the town and it seems to have been something planned by someone else, someone not belonging to the town.
When I went to Sarajevo by train from Banja Luka I sat near a Muslim girl who was going back home. She told me that for Muslims it became very dangerous to stay in Sarajevo at the time of Milosevic and she and her sister and mother left for Croatia. Her father remained in Sarajevo longer but she and her family were informed that he was in danger and he had to leave as soon as possible because male muslims could have been killed immediately. He escaped soon and he could take refuge in Croatia too. He was then told that soldiers entered his house on the day after his departure.
I had bought a local newspaper in Banja Luka and I saw a picture of Mladic in the newspaper (it was April 2005). I did not know the local language and so I asked the girl what the article said. She told me that Mladic had been seen in a village near Sarajevo few days before in a restaurant together with his wife.
No one knows where Mladic and Karazdic are, and they have not been taken to court yet.