Friday, September 5, 2008

Welcome back to my English blog!

I will write again in my English blog.
I began it when I was in USA in 2007. Now I am in Italy and I usually write in my Italian blog
www.rbarazza.blogspot.com
but some recent events make it necessary to let a wider public (who may just by chance fall into my blog) know what is happening around me.

Just to begin: the contrast in Treviso between the vice-mayor Gentilini and the local Muslim minority.
It is Ramadan time and the Muslim inhabitants want to pray but they are not allowed, not by the Italian Constitution, which guarantees (in theory at least) to everybody the right to practise their religion, but by the local mayors who have been recently given special powers.
Of course there are more and less intelligent mayors ...
What is happening in Treviso is that the local Muslim minority are deprived of their right to pray. If they want to pray they can do it individually (it's an idea! why don't we create individual church sevices for the Christian Christmases and Easters as well?) or out of Treviso territory.